Friday, August 28, 2009

Last semester, and when will this stop?

How lucky am I to go to a school where the buildings all look like this? I have so many memories of this building, going back from when I was 7 and declared that I would be a Hokie, to freshman year when I sat on the steps out front to try and figure out if Virginia Tech was where I belonged, to sophomore year when Ian and I watched the ring dance fireworks from there, and then soon thereafter when we held candlelight vigils. This building holds a really special place in my heart, and when I am old and gray I will look back at my time here and remember Burruss Hall as my favorite building on campus, the one with the most meaning and the one that really represents what Hokie Spirit is all about.


(source)


I feel many different things about my time here, but in the end, it was the right choice. In my very being, I have always been a hokie. To go anywhere else would have been wrong, and I would have ended up transferring here if I had started out elsewhere.

Please keep in your mind/prayers the families of two VT students were found killed in the woods near VT yesterday, as they are no doubt suffering from severe anguish. As far as I know, there is no new news as to what happened, but I do know that the two were found shot in the Jefferson National Forest near our campus. Upon hearing about this yesterday, I felt pretty numb, and I then felt guilty because I don't like being desensitized to terrible things happening here. But then I woke up this morning with an aching in my soul not unlike the one I have felt on 3 occasions since I started here. My heart has broken once again for the young lives lost, this school, and our spirit. That said, please keep the VT community in your mind/prayers, as well. We are reeling from this latest shock, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will, as we have before, prevail. Keep faith, fellow hokies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband is a Hokie and spent much time in Burrus Hall! We make the 6 hour trek every weekend for football games-wish I would have thought about Tech when college searching.
I heard about the two students this morning and was shocked. Such terrible news and my heart goes out to the families!